Robert B. Cavoto, CPA
- Expert Witness Testimony
- Forensic Accounting
- Litigation Support
- Financial / Acquisition Management
- Real Estate Advisory
- Quantification of Damages
- Troubled Project Workout
- Status Audit / Investigations
Office: Washington DC Metropolitan Area
Bob Cavoto’s expertise is based on over 30 years experience on a diverse portfolio of projects in all stages of development, construction and/or operation from both a developer/owner and lender prospective. His financial and operational expertise includes strategic planning/analysis, development, finance, portfolio/asset management, budgeting and acquisitions/dispositions. Bob’s prior experience includes positions as COO/CFO for a development and operations company, VP – Asset Management/Fund Controller for a REIT/MLP Advisor, VP – Finance/Special Projects for an investment, syndication and property management company and Manager – Real Estate Practice for a Big Four public accounting firm. Bob is disciplined, with demonstrated ability to quickly ascertain objectives, define requirements and formulate procedures and processes to achieve objectives.
Selected Project Experience
- Prepared expert report for a developer/owner of a 5 star luxury hotel on the quantification of damages caused by the delay in completion of the project. Delays included damaged and defective work, liquidated damages, and excess professional and overhead costs. Audited costs and refuted contractor’s claims for shared savings under the GMP contract and subcontractor claims.
- Served as Senior Financial Manager for a full service real estate investment, development and property management company focusing on the acquisition of institutional quality commercial properties and the development of commercial, residential and mixed-use projects.
- Key member of management team responsible for directing and overseeing development, financing and operational activities on a diversified portfolio of mixed use and upscale residential golf and senior retirement development communities. Coordinated start up of residential construction division that delivered 100+ units annually.
- Served as Asset Manager initially overseeing the workouts/dispositions of a portfolio of development and mortgage loans and subsequently the entitlement and development activities of a portfolio of projects totaling in excess of 6,000 acres with development plans for approximately 5 million square feet of office, retail and flex space and 6,500 housing units.
- Secured and/or restructured $250+ million of acquisition, development and construction financing. Restructured $100+ million of corporate financing to improve liquidity and lower borrowing costs.
- Oversaw litigation support / forensic accounting services in cases involving accounting and financial disclosure issues of a large defense contractor (engineering and construction division) and several specialty contractors in the environmental, communications, utilities and government industries.
- Developed and implemented strategic plan that established corporate and project investment objectives and goals, refocused the utilization of financial and personnel resources and included the establishment of a company valuation, which facilitated debt restructuring, and privatization of the company.
- Planned, administered and supervised audit and advisory services to clients in the real estate and leasing industries. Services included debt registrations, equity offerings, acquisition / dispositions, due diligence / feasibility studies, lease reviews, owner/developer/tenant cost reviews and cost allocations.
Northern Illinois University, B.S. in Accountancy (with University Honors)
Licenses / Certifications
Certified Public Accountant (C.P.A.): Illinois